Today, Suicide Prevention Bristol are proud to announce the launching of our “Not The Last Stop Campaign”.
Sadly, we have seen a large increase in taxi drivers taking people to locations that are known hotspots for suicide. Unfortunately, this has lead to one person loosing their life.
Between 9th July to 9th August 2021, we have recorded 6 separate journeys made in a taxi where their driver has taken someone to a suicide hotspot. It would appear obvious to us that taking someone to a location like this would naturally be questioned, however sadly those questions were never asked, and successful intervention couldn’t take place before they reached their final destination.
We will be working alongside local services to ensure the best intervention is made to protect that person from suicide.
We will also be:
- Educating local taxi drivers on how to recognize someone at risk and advise them on what to do if they are concerned about someone.
- Work with local and larger taxi firms to create an automatic flag on the system if someone is requesting a taxi journey to a known hotspot.
- Encourage taxi drivers to liaise with the emergency services should they believe someone in their taxi is at risk.
- Support local councils on training and providing further support to local taxi drivers and their dispatchers.
- We will also be giving local taxi drivers information leaflets about how to spot someone in crisis and what’s to do in an emergency guidance.
- We have also opened up a dedicated number, so drivers call us for advice.
Need support or advice?
Call us: 0800 689 5652